1870 October 15th the foundation stone was laid by Bishop Chadwick and St William’s Parish was born. A collection was taken on the foundation stone , realised £84/10/0 made up to £100 by friends.
1873 Fr Charles Donatus Turnelli became the first resident priest taking over from Fr Coll.
1878 Fr Wade was in charge and the Infants school opened.
1882 Fr Baste arrived taking over from Fr Wade.
1883 Srs of St Paul came and took charge of the school.
1887 Fr Thomas Chadwick took charge and lodged at St Augustine’s until 7, Dodsworth Street was rented. Later he moved to Haughton Rd.
1899 Land was bought from the Methodists and the presbytery built at a cost of £893.
1910 The school was opened by Alderman Peter Prior.
1920 Due to ill health of Fr Chadwick, Fr J McHugh was sent as curate. During his time the 50th Anniversary was marked with a 3 day mission.
1928 Fr J McHugh was replaced by Fr L Hart. Fr Chadwick was made a Canon.
1929 Fr Hart appointed to St Thomas Aquinas.
1929 Fr Jennings appointed as curate.
1931 Canon Rooney died.
1941 Fr Jennings replaced Fr J. O’Callaghan.
1946 Canon Chadwick died.
1947 Fr T. Cunningham came as Parish Priest, Fr Callaghan to St Cuthbert’s and Fr A Daley came as curate.
1949 Fr Gerard Corboy replaced Fr Cunningham who went to Backworth.
1950 Fr Daley moved to Brooms and replaced by Fr McGarrell.
1954 Fr Cornelius Mullaney arrived.
1956 St Anne’s New Church was opened.
Fr Brian Crossling replaced Fr Mullaney.
1960 Fr J. McDonald became priest in charge of St Anne’s and Fr Noel Phelan came as a Curate.
1964 Fr G. Monaghan followed Fr Phalen.
1965 Fr Corboy transferred to St Augustine’s and Fr Douglas came as parish priest.
1983 Fr Douglas retired but stayed in the presbytery.
Fr Harry O’Reilly came as Parish priest of St William’s and St Anne’s.
1990 Fr Douglas died.
When Fr O’Reilly moved to South Shields, St William’s was looked after by Fr Mark Carroll. After that we had Fr Brendan Kelly, and now we have Fr Greg Price from St Teresa’s